Home automation and smart technology aren’t reserved for humans. We can also use it to protect and care for our pets. Smart pet feeders are popular devices that make it easier to feed your pet and track their diet remotely. Our top five cat and dog feeders use a timer or smartphone app to dispense food on a schedule—and you can choose how much food distributes at what time of day.
If you’re considering a smart pet feeder, check out these five top-rated options.
1. Feed and Go Smart Pet Feeder
The Feed and Go is the top-of-the-line smart feeder. While most feeders work only with dry food, the Feed and Go can dispense wet and dry food, treats, and medication. The feeder features a built-in webcam and speaker, Wi-Fi connection, and smartphone app. You can check on your pet, receive notifications when your pet is fed, and adjust feeding schedules. The cherry on top is the easy-to-use customer portal. You can create profiles for each feeder and set one-time or regular schedules.
- Built-in webcam
- Easy to clean
- Holds enough food for up to six days
- 6 second recordable message
- No battery back up
- Loud motor
Bottom Line: Feed and Go is one of the most expensive smart feeders, but the advanced options are worth the price tag.
2. Petnet SmartFeeder
The SmartFeeder is one of the most attractive smart pet feeders, featuring a sleek black compact design. Its main premise is that smarter feeding and precise portions result in a healthier pet. The feeder suggests portions based on your pet’s age, weight, and activity level to help you avoid over or under-feeding. Through the Petnet app, receive recommended food recipes based on your pet’s diet, and manage your pet’s food schedule. You can control your pet’s feeding times—and how quickly the food will be dispensed—and create a customized meal plan.
- Adjustable speed
- Order food from the app and get it delivered to your doorstep
- Large food capacity
- Built-in rechargeable backup battery
- Does not support Android devices
- Cannot be programmed without internet
- Jams easily with certain types of food
- Limited battery back up
Bottom Line: The SmartFeeder is a nice balance between luxury and affordability.
3. PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed
For those who don’t need the bells and whistles of advanced technology, the Healthy Pet Simply Feed automatic feeder fits the bill. It uses a conveyor belt to dispense food based on your set portions. Choose from portions between one-eighth and four cups and schedules for up to 12 meals per day. The most unique feature of the Simply Feed is the Slow Feed option, which dispenses meals over a 15-minute period and helps prevent your pet from eating too quickly.
- LCD screen with simple navigation makes it easy to set up
- Highly programmable, with up to 12 schedulable meals a day and flexible portions
- Sleek, minimal design
- No AC adapter
- Bowl is too deep for many cats to eat comfortably from
- May jam with certain types of food
4. Hoison SmartFeeder
With a Wi-Fi connection, you can use the SmartFeeder’s built-in webcam and speaker to check on your pet and speak to them. Through the Hoison app, you can set up an auto feeder schedule, choosing the number of meals per day, portion size, and time of each meal. A great additional feature of the app is the weekly history report access. The app records your pet’s food habits, consumption, and timing and suggests tips for optimizing their diet and nutrition.
- Built-in HD camera and speaker so you can communicate with your pet
- AC adapter and 24-hour backup battery
- Weekly stats and diet suggestions tailored to your pet
- Smart light for nighttime feeding
- Small tray does not provide enough food for larger dogs
- Must be controlled via smartphone app
- Hoison is based in China and does not provide much English-language technical assistance
Bottom Line: It’s a pricier option, but the SmartFeeder is reliable and offers impressive features that are easy to navigate.
5. Lusmo Automatic Pet Feeder
If you’re on a budget or aren’t ready to invest in a smart feeder, the Lusmo automatic feeder is the perfect starter option. You won’t find a webcam, app, or Wi-Fi integration, but you do get all the necessary basics. With just three buttons to operate, this smart feeder is easy for anyone to program. Schedule up to three feedings per day, choose a portion size, and you’re ready to feed your pet automatically. You can also manually feed with the push of a button. The Lusmo is battery-operated, so you don’t have to worry about power outages or cords.
- Colorful design
- Protective guard to discourage cats from stealing kibble from the unit
- Batteries only; no backup power supply
- Not dishwasher safe
- Allows only 3 meals scheduled per day
Bottom Line: The Lusmo is the least expensive option on this list, but it still provides plenty of perks.
With a smart pet feeder, you’ll never worry about running late at work or over-feeding your pet again. You’ll always know a meal is ready and waiting for your cat or dog when breakfast and dinnertime roll around.
*SafeWise has conducted impartial research to recommend products. This is not a guarantee. Each individual’s unique needs should be considered when deciding on chosen products.