Pat is a gorgeous Maine Coon cat. Catie, his adoptive mother, named Pat after her favourite basketball player, Patrick Ewing. When Pat sneezed in Catie’s face, it was love at first ‘slight’.
Catie knew he was the cat for her. It. As a responsible cat owner, Catie was determined to have Pat live exclusively indoors when she adopted him.
In her mind, this would help save Pat from the threat of scrappy cats and feline-fighting dogs. Plus, Catie wouldn’t have to worry about Pat going missing or getting hurt at night. Surely this meant there was no need for pet insurance. But Catie wasn’t so certain. So she bought pet insurance for Pat because she liked the extra peace of mind.
Catie was comfortable with the idea that what amounted to the cost of a few cups of coffee per week gave her peace of mind if something expensive happened. A year-and-a-half later, something expensive did happen. Late one long weekend, Pat was very distressed and started projectile vomiting. Catie quickly found a 24-hour vet and rushed Pat in for help.
As you might expect from a projectile-vomiting cat, the vet quickly determined something was wrong. X-rays showed that Pat had something lodged in his stomach. After emergency surgery, the item turned out to be a 20-cent plastic plug that Pat had chewed and swallowed from the bottom of a $20 guitar stand. Because this vet visit was after hours on a long weekend with x-rays and emergency surgery, the costs stacked up to $5,500.
But because Catie had pet insurance, her out-of-pocket premium was $600 with her insurer covering the rest. Premiums have gone up in the decade since Pat’s unfortunate snack, but while no other incidents have led to such expenses, Catie still pays for Pat’s pet insurance for that added peace of mind.