The phrase "cheap security" might sound like an oxymoron, but you’d be surprised at the number of inexpensive home security devices that can actually help you take valuable security measures to protect your home and property. We've rounded up 20 of our favorite cheap home security devices under $20.
20 Security Products under $20
20 Best security products under $20
Locks under $20
1. Defender Security Door Lock: Best for homes with kids
Most intruders know to attack a door at the lock—but what if your door had an extra lock in an unexpected place? The Defender Security Lock can easily be installed nearly anywhere on the inside edge of your door. It's easy to lock and unlock from the inside, but it's impossible to tamper with from the outside. Plus, you can place it high on the door so small kids can’t escape when it’s secured.
But it’s not a perfect fit for every door. You may need to get handy with a chisel to fit it on some doorways. You may also need to replace it after a few years of wear and tear. It’s a good idea to look for these on sale and buy a couple at a time so you can replace one as soon as it shows deterioration.
2. SABRE Door Security Bar: Best for added door security
3. Defender Security Sliding Window Locks: Best for vinyl window security
4. Lion Locks: Best for aluminum sliding doors/windows
Gripping pads on Lion Locks door and window locks keep them secure on any sliding door or window track. Double thumbscrews make installation easy and snug. Choosing the lock placement along the track lets you control how far your door or window opens.
Compare the competition on our best sliding door locks review page.
5. Addalock: Best lock reinforcement for renters
6. Defender Sliding Door Security Bar: Best for sliding glass doors
Alarms under $20
7. Taiker Personal Emergency Alarm: Best for deterring intruders
8. SABRE Shed and Garage Alarm: Best for garages and outbuildings
9. GE Personal Security Kit: Best for apartments or dorms
10. GE Door/Window Alarms: Best for DIY home security systems
Lights and monitoring under $20
11. Vivii Outdoor Motion Sensor Solar Lights: Best for outdoor lighting
Burglars are much less likely to snoop around a house that's well lit, and Vivii's motion sensor solar lights can ensure you always have the lights on. Motion detectors sense movement to trigger the lights, and these lights come with three different lighting settings.
Compare the competition on our review pages:
12. SadoTech Wireless Doorbell: Best for visitor alerts
13. TOGU Peephole: Best for seeing who's at the door
The TOGU peephole gives you a full 220-degree view of someone standing outside, and it comes in eight different finishes to match your door hardware. The included cover prevents anyone from peeking through the hole from the other side.
14. ZOSI 1080p CCTV Camera: Best for monitoring
When we found these cheap security cameras, we knew they had to be on the list. But the ZOSI 1080p CCTV Camera doesn't come with the needed DVR or cables, and the monitoring app for smartphones and tablets is difficult to use. Still, the cameras work well for monitoring in all weather conditions and come with lifetime tech support.
Learn more in our ZOSI cameras review.
15. Frankever Mini Smart Plug Outlet: Best for controlling indoor lighting remotely
Smart home devices for under $20? It seems too good to be true, but the Frankever Mini Smart Plug Outlet gives you a lot of home automation device management for a low price. Using it with lighting lets you turn house lights on and off from anywhere with your smartphone or, if you have a home assistant, voice commands. IFTTT (If This, Then That) compatibility means it can also be used with other smart home security systems if you choose to add more home automation security devices later on.
Personal and property protection under $20
16. VIPERTEK Stun Gun Flashlight: Best for personal protection
The VIPERTEK Stun Gun Flashlight delivers both a loud crackling noise and a nonlethal shock when it's activated, and it's rechargeable. Shine the bright light into the attacker's face to further disorient them.
17. Gila Glass Window Film: Best for privacy
If you live on a ground floor apartment, you shouldn't have to keep the blinds closed and feel like you're living in a cave. Gila Window Films are tinted black to reduce passive solar heating while completely obscuring the view of any curious passersby.
Although more expensive, there's also window film that makes it tough for would-be intruders to break the glass. Check out our top window security film picks.
18. Amazon Basics Portable Security Case: Best for securing valuables
Just in "case" someone does get into your home, the steel-shelled Amazon Basics Security Case keeps jewelry and firearms under combination lock and key. The included security cable lets you secure the case to a heavy piece of furniture or household fixture.
19. Defender Security Combo Strike Plate: Best for beefing up door security
Intruders may try to kick in your door, so don't make it easy. Simply installing a new strike plate like the Defender Security Combo with 3-inch screws can give your door the strength it needs to withstand a forced entry.
20. WALI Fake Security Camera: Best for the illusion of monitoring
As the saying goes, "Fake it till you make it." When it comes to security, fake isn't actually a bad idea. A realistic decoy security camera like the WALI is an excellent crime deterrent. It has battery-operated LED lights to give the illusion of night vision, and you can get two for under $20.
For a little more money, you can get the real thing. Check out our top security cameras under $50.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on Amazon at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. Safewise.com utilizes paid Amazon links.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon. This content is provided “as is” and is subject to change or removal at any time.