Property Crime Statistics and Facts:
- In 2015, a property crime occurred every 3.9 seconds in the US. 1
- Approximately twenty-five property crimes were reported per 1,000 inhabitants in 2015. 2
- The number of property crimes committed in 2015 totaled about eight million—this is 2.6% less than 2014’s total.3
- More than $12.4 billion worth of property was reported stolen in 2015, and only 26.1% was recovered.4 Read our tips to increase your chances of getting your stolen goods back.
- Of all property crimes reported in the United States in 2015, 42.2% occurred in the South, followed by the West with 26.6%, the Midwest with 19.3%, and the Northeast with 11.9%.5
- A robbery occurs every 1.6 seconds in the United States.6