Toxins like asbestos, lead, and radon can inhabit your house without you knowing. All three of these substances can cause harmful long-term effects like lung and nerve damage after years of exposure. Run a test this month to make sure your home is safe from these toxic chemicals.
Asbestos is a naturally occurring substance used as a fire retardant. It’s often found in materials like insulation, adhesives, concrete, and some types of vinyl in older homes.
Years of breathing in tiny asbestos fibers can result in respiratory damage, asbestosis, and mesothelioma. If your home was built between 1940 and 1970, we recommend testing for asbestos to make sure your home is safe. If the test results are positive, you can find professionals in your area to remove it.
Lead was a common ingredient in paints, plumbing, and even cosmetics until the late 1970s. If you live in a home built before 1978, there may be traces of lead left in your home. Just like asbestos, you can conduct a home test for lead and call for removal services.
Lead buildup can lead to mild symptoms like headaches, fatigue, and irritability. But serious risks include birth defects and developmental problems in children.
Radon is a radioactive byproduct of decaying uranium. It can leak into homes through cracks in the foundation and basement. Some areas are more prone to danger than others, but it’s a smart choice to check your home if you live in a hot spot. Like other home kits, you can purchase a radon test yourself or find professionals in your area to test for you.
Radon is the number one cause of lung cancer in non-smokers. Early symptoms can include coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, chest pain.1