It’s always smart to stay informed. Looking at local crime rates can give you an idea of what types of crimes are most common and whether or not crime is increasing or decreasing year over year.
Campus crime statistics are reported every year in compliance with the Clery Act. Clery Act reporting goes beyond the usual crimes. You can find out about things like fire safety in residential housing, drug- and alcohol-related incidents on campus, and hate crimes.
But crime rates and statistics are just one way to try to gauge how safe your school, dorm, or neighborhood is.
Other things to explore include:
- Community safety initiatives
- Public safety and community services funding
- Safety resources like bike lanes and adequate street lighting
- Healthcare resources (medical, behavioral, and mental)
- Expanded bus or shuttle schedules