Nothing can get your family in the Halloween spirit like carving a pumpkin together. To help ensure everyone enjoys a fun and safe pumpkin-carving experience, we’ve put together this list of pumpkin carving tips for kids.
Kid-Friendly Pumpkin Carving: Tips, Tools, and Advice
1. Pick a pumpkin that’s good for carving
A safe pumpkin-carving experience starts with choosing the perfect pumpkin. Here's how to land the right one:
- Look for a pumpkin with smooth, less bumpy skin. A smooth pumpkin is easier for kids to draw on and safer for you to carve.
- Avoid pumpkins that feel heavy for their size. This can indicate thick walls that could be difficult to carve through.
- Skip any pumpkins with soft spots, which can indicate rotting.
- Inspect the pumpkin for any nicks or cuts that may make it vulnerable to infection.
- Pick a pumpkin with a flat, front surface for carving—that will yield the best results.
2. Take precautions when carving pumpkins
According to the American Society for Surgery of the Hand, Halloween often results in serious hand injuries—requiring three to four months for rehabilitation. To help avoid a trip to the ER, take these precautions when carving pumpkins.
- Don’t rush.
- Use small, controlled motions.
- Choose a location that is well lit and a work surface that’s sturdy.
- Keep your hands and carving tools dry.
- For added safety, leave the pumpkin top on so you don’t put your hand inside the pumpkin and risk cutting it.
Never let a young child carve a pumpkin. If you allow your older child to create a jack-o’-lantern, supply them with an age-appropriate pumpkin carving tool kit and supervise them closely.
3. Choose an easy pumpkin carving design
To help keep younger children interested, choose an easy pumpkin carving design that won’t take long to finish. Consider downloading a few pumpkin templates ahead of time, and let your child pick the one they like best.
Another safe pumpkin carving idea is to let your child choose a cookie cutter (or three) to gently indent onto the pumpkin. This makes an easy pattern for them to trace with a carving tool.
4. Keep your kid occupied
While you’re carving, keep your child busy (and out of harm’s way) by letting them decorate a small pumpkin all their own. From covering the pumpkin in glitter paint or adorning it in rhinestones to transforming it into their favorite character, there’s a wealth of kid-friendly ways to decorate a pumpkin.
5. Clean up quickly
Pumpkin carving is fun, but it’s also messy—especially when kids are involved. Slippery pumpkin flesh or seeds may end up on the floor and cause a fall. To help minimize this risk, lay down newspaper or a disposable drop cloth under your work area, and pick it up as soon as you’re done carving.
We hope these tips help your family carve pumpkins safely. For more Halloween safety tips and pumpkin design inspiration, check out our spooktacular Halloween Pinterest board.
Related articles on SafeWise
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on Amazon at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. Safewise.com utilizes paid Amazon links.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon. This content is provided “as is” and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Compare the best child safety products
|Best booster seat||$199.99||For kids up to 120 lbs.||3 layers of side-impact protection||View on Amazon||Read review|
|Best kids GPS tracker||$149.99||Encrypted location tracking||Geofences||View on Amazon||Read review|
|Best kids phone||$99.99 (w/SafeWise discount)||Unlimited talk and text||GPS tracking||View on Gabb||Read review|
|Best kids smartwatch||$199.99||Two-way voice and messaging||Up to 53 parent-approved contacts||View on Amazon||Read review|
|Best parental control app||$99.00/yr||Requires iOS 11 or Android 5 and up||Monitors 24 social networks||View on Bark||Read review|
|Best kids bike helmet||$27.96||47–57 cm. head circumference||Easy-to-adjust tri-glide strap sliders||View on Amazon||Read review|
Data as of post date. Offers and availability may vary by location and are subject to change. SafeWise uses paid Amazon links.