Instead, youngsters can practice telling time and solving math problems through the Tobi Robot’s learning games, dance and move around to meet fitness goals, express their creative side through photography, and learn how to responsibly keep track of their very first smartwatch.
Compare the Tobi Robot to other kids smartwatches
Max. number of contacts
Compatible cell providers
|Best for preschoolers||$29.99|
|–||N/A||View on Amazon|
|View on Amazon|
|Best for SOS calls||$179.99|
|25||Red Pocket (AT&T)||View on Angel Watch|
|10||Gabb Wireless||View on Gabb|
|Best for active play||$149.99|
|50||T-Mobile recommended||View on Amazon|
|Best for Verizon customers||$199.99 + $35 activation fee|
|10||Verizon||View on Verizon|
*Amazon.com price as of post date. Read full disclaimer.
Tobi Mode: Interact with Tobi
Tobi is an interactive animated character with a playful personality. His eyes and mouth change shape to show around 100 expressions based on how kids interact with him. Tobi also makes gibberish noises to punctuate how he feels. (You can adjust the volume in the settings menu.)
The user guide gives a few examples and encourages kids to figure out the rest on their own:
- Shake the watch to make Tobi dizzy.
- Swipe right to make Tobi giggle.
- Swipe left to annoy Tobi.
- Press and hold Tobi’s mouth to give Tobi a snack.
- Tap the screen anywhere to make Tobi’s robot arms and legs move.
- Swipe up to put Tobi in listening mode. Say “Hi Tobi” or ask a question, and watch his response.
Other fun games and fitness tracking
The Little Tikes Tobi Robot Smartwatch features four educational games:
- Tobi Time: Read an analog clock display, and enter the correct time on the digital clock display.
- A-Maze-Ing Balance: Carefully rotate the watch to sink colored balls in matching colored holes.
- Smash Math: Select the correct answer to basic math equations.
- Tic-Tac-Tobi: Play a classic game of tic-tac-toe against Tobi.
This digital watch also includes a step tracker and three fitness games:
- Search and Seek: an augmented reality game where kids capture the object that starts with a certain letter of the alphabet
- Freeze Dance: a dance activity game similar to musical chairs. Dance while the music plays, then freeze when the music stops
- Tobi Says: Tobi demonstrates a move and tells you how many times to do it
Stars, trophies, and decorations
Kids earn stars from interacting with Tobi, winning games, and staying active.
- 10 stars equal 1 sticker
- 3 stickers equal 1 room sticker (more on that in a second)
- Every fourth sticker equals a new snack for Tobi
- 100 stars/10 stickers unlock a trophy and a new animation for Tobi
Room stickers are unlockable decorations used to fill Tobi’s virtual room. Tobi comes to inspect each new addition and celebrate a job well done.
Two cameras and plenty of storage
If your little one needs a break from the games, they can practice taking photos or videos. The Tobi Robot watch has a selfie camera and a point-of-view camera and stores up to 3,000 photos or 30 minutes of video.
Considering my very first iPhone stored about as many photos, this seems incredible for a kids smartwatch—and definitely in a good way.
Use the included USB cable to connect the watch to a computer to transfer photos. To clear storage space, manually delete the files from the watch itself.
The files won’t be the greatest quality once you get them on the computer, but they’re sufficient for a kids smartwatch. Photos are 640 x 480 pixel JPEGs and the videos are 320 x 240 pixel AVIs.
Limited communication with other Tobi Robot watches
If your kiddo’s bestie has a Tobi Robot watch too, you can pair the two devices so they can experience the thrill of swapping emojis. The controlled pairing occurs via Bluetooth, so they can share things only if they’re within about 50 feet of each other.
Kids can also share pictures they’ve taken or send voice messages, complete with fun sound effects like “robot” or “chipmunk.”
Any media file your kid sends will disappear from their friends’ nearby Tobi Robot Smartwatch after about 15 seconds.
Other features and settings
The Tobi Robot kids smartwatch also includes these apps:
- Alarm clock
- Photo editor with silly stickers and borders
- Video editor to rotate videos
- Calendar with stickers to mark special occasions
In the settings menu, you can adjust the following:
- Analog or digital time display
- Date and time, plus the format of each
- Language (Dutch, French, German, and Spanish currently supported)
Younger kids will get a kick out of the Tobi Robot. It wraps education and fitness into a fun little package and promises plenty of replay value. If nothing else, it’s an affordable way to give your kid a digital camera.
Tobi Robot FAQ
The Tobi Smartwatch includes two cameras, learning games, dancing games, a fitness tracker, basic apps like a timer, calendar, and stopwatch. Kids can also share emojis, voice messages, and photos with other nearby Tobi Robot Smartwatches through controlled pairing.
No, there is no text messaging component on a Tobi smartwatch.
No, the Tobi watch does not have GPS.
Yes, the Tobi watch is safe. It only uses wireless connectivity for firmware updates. It also uses Bluetooth to pair with other Tobi smartwatches within 50 feet, but this doesn’t happen automatically.
With no internet and no cellular connection, there’s nothing to hack on a Tobi smartwatch.
There’s a little flap covering the charging port on the side of the Tobi watch, just under the home button.
The Tobi watch comes with a micro USB cable for charging but doesn’t come with a USB wall adapter. You’ll need to purchase that separately if you don’t have one.
The user guide also recommends turning the Tobi watch off before charging for best results.
No, the Tobi smartwatch doesn’t have Wi-Fi.
Locate the home button under the screen on the Tobi watch. Press and hold this button for five seconds to turn on the Tobi Robot watch.
Press and hold the home button for five seconds to turn off the Tobi Robot watch. You’ll hear a sound confirming the device is shutting down.
Here’s how to turn the volume down on a Tobi watch:
- Press the home button once or twice until you see the Menu screen.
- Swipe up.
- Tap the Settings icon, which looks like a wrench inside a gear.
- Swipe left or right until you see the volume control screen.
- Press the minus (-) symbol to decrease the volume.
Win games or complete step goals to earn more stars. You’ll get a new type of food for Tobi for every 40 stars (4 stickers) earned.
How we reviewed the Tobi Robot Smartwatch
For our Tobi Robot Smartwatch review, we read through the user guide and watched Little Tikes’ video tutorials. We used our extensive knowledge of other kids smartwatches to gauge the value of what the Tobi Robot has to offer. Read more about the SafeWise methodology.
Related articles on SafeWise
*Product prices and availability are accurate as of post date and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on Amazon at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. Safewise.com utilizes paid Amazon links.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon. This content is provided “as is” and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Compare the best child safety products
|Best booster seat||$199.99||For kids up to 120 lbs.||3 layers of side-impact protection||View on Amazon||Read review|
|Best kids GPS tracker||$149.99||Encrypted location tracking||Geofences||View on Amazon||Read review|
|Best kids phone||$99.99 (w/SafeWise discount)||Unlimited talk and text||GPS tracking||View on Gabb||Read review|
|Best kids smartwatch||$199.99||Two-way voice and messaging||Up to 53 parent-approved contacts||View on Amazon||Read review|
|Best parental control app||$99.00/yr||Requires iOS 11 or Android 5 and up||Monitors 24 social networks||View on Bark||Read review|
|Best kids bike helmet||$27.96||47–57 cm. head circumference||Easy-to-adjust tri-glide strap sliders||View on Amazon||Read review|
Data as of post date. Offers and availability may vary by location and are subject to change. SafeWise uses paid Amazon links.