You may occasionally experience issues with your SimpliSafe devices without any idea of how to fix them. Here are a few common problems with easy fixes.
How to get the most out of SimpliSafe
Subscribe to our Youtube channel for more videos like this one! Learn how to protect your home, your loved ones, yourself and your belongings.
SimpliSafe security system troubleshooting
How do I reset SimpliSafe?
SimpliSafe systems sometimes stop working after losing the cellular connection to the base station. You can re-establish a connection with a simple reset:
- Unplug the base station.
- Remove the battery cover on the bottom of the device using a Phillips-head screwdriver.
- Remove one battery for at least 10–15 seconds before putting it back in.
- Put the battery cover back on.
- Plug the base station in and wait a minute or two for a new connection.
- Arm your system to test that it works properly.
The SimpliSafe base station uses colored LED lights to show the system's status:
- Red means a minor error or a recent alarm.
- Blue means the system is armed.
- Amber indicates an ongoing system update.
White represents test mode, setting changes, and setup.
How do I get SimpliSafe out of test mode?
You can enter and exit test mode using the menu on the SimpliSafe Keypad. The system will not contact dispatch while test mode is active. Test mode allows you to check that your sensors and connection to the monitoring center work properly.
SimpliSafe also has a practice mode that temporarily disables professional monitoring for 72 hours after first activating your system. This helps you familiarize yourself with the system free of false alarms.
Why is my SimpliSafe sensor not responding?
SimpliSafe sensors won't work correctly if the battery is too low, they're still in the box from your order, or the device is too far from the base station.
Just like SimpliSafe's sensors, the keypad won't work if it's too far from or isn't paired with the base station. You can tell if the keypad is too far away by looking at its built-in display, which shows Keypad Out of Range.
SimpliSafe camera troubleshooting
How can I fix a bad Wi-Fi connection?
Most SimpliCam issues stem from a poor Wi-Fi connection:
- Check that the power cable is plugged in and that your home internet is functional.
- Check that the camera has the latest password to your network.
- Make sure your camera isn't too far from the wireless router. Consider buying a Wi-Fi extender like the TP-Link AC750 if moving the camera closer isn't an option.
SimpliSafe doorbell troubleshooting
How do I fix a broken video doorbell?
If your SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro stops working, you can perform a soft reset, hard reset, or reinstall the device.
- Soft reset: press the small button on the back of your doorbell before putting it back on the charging mount to reboot.
- Hard reset: press the large button on the back of your doorbell for 10 seconds before putting it back on the charging mount to reboot.
- Reinstall: remove the doorbell before following the installation instructions again—this is useful if you missed an installation step the first time.
Contact SimpliSafe customer support if these solutions don't fix your doorbell.
How do I adjust my doorbell's motion sensitivity?
You can adjust the motion sensitivity in the settings section of the SimpliSafe app and the online portal. Adjusting the doorbell's motion sensitivity cuts down on excess notifications. Turning off notifications doesn't deactivate alerts from visitors pressing the doorbell button.
SimpliSafe smart lock troubleshooting
How do I unlock the door if the battery dies?
Because the SimpliSafe Smart Lock uses your existing deadbolt, you can unlock your door using a key at any time. The smart lock sends occasional notifications when the batteries start to die so you know when to replace them.
What do I do if the installation screws are too long?
SimpliSafe provides shorter screws upon request through the customer support department.
Compare the best home security systems
|Top pick||Reader favorite||Whole-property pick||Pro monitoring pick||No-contract DIY pick|
Blue by ADT
|Lowest monitoring price||$29.99/mo.||$14.99/mo.||$49.99/mo.||$27.99/mo.||$19.99/mo.|
|Starter equipment price||$599.00||$229.00||$99.00||$0.00||$199.15|
|Smart home compatibility||Amazon,
|Learn more||View Packages||View Packages||View Packages||View Packages||View Packages|
|Read review||Read review||Read review||Read review||Read review||Read review|
Related articles on SafeWise
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on Amazon at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. Safewise.com utilizes paid Amazon links.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon. This content is provided “as is” and is subject to change or removal at any time.