SimpliSafe is an affordable home security system known for transparent pricing and flexible monitoring options with no long-term contracts.
How does SimpliSafe work?
SimpliSafe is a DIY-install system with professional monitoring. So you’ll order the package that works best for your home, install and connect the equipment yourself, then let SimpliSafe’s monitoring professionals keep watch on your home in case of an emergency.
- Base Station: This is the brains of the SimpliSafe home security system and comes equipped with a backup power supply. The base station wirelessly links SimpliSafe sensors and communicates to the monitoring center.
- Wireless Keypad: Usually positioned close to an entrance, the keypad can arm or disarm the system.
- SimpliSafe App: This app offers control of your home security system remotely and a live video feed of any SimpliSafe cameras. The mobile app is available only with the Interactive monitoring plan, not the Standard plan.
- Siren: At 105 dB, this siren can be installed either inside or outside the home to startle intruders.
- Key Fob: SimpliSafe’s key fob panic button can alert the monitoring center or arm and disarm the system.
SimpliSafe has several kinds of sensors. Mix and match or move them around to provide the best coverage for your living space.
- Motion Sensors: SimpliSafe’s pet-friendly motion sensors are designed to avoid false alarms triggered by moving objects within a certain weight range.
- Entry Sensors: Positioned at doors or windows, these sensors alert when the door or window is opened.
- Glass Break Sensors: Glass break sensors are equipped to detect the sound of breaking glass and are best for large windows.
SimpliSafe Environmental Sensors
SimpliSafe offers environmental devices that monitor potentially dangerous conditions in the home.
- Smoke Detector: SimpliSafe use photoelectric technology to detect smoke or fire in the home.
- Temperature and Water Sensors: Temperature sensors monitor cold to avoid freezing pipes, and water sensors trigger during a leak or flooding.
SimpliSafe Cameras and Home Automation
SimpliSafe doesn’t have outdoor cameras—if an outdoor camera is essential, see our guide to security cameras for recommendations.
- SimpliCam: This motion-activated indoor camera can be viewed live from the app. It has two-way communication and night vision.
- Video Doorbell Pro: One of SimpliSafe’s newest products is a video doorbell camera that can be monitored remotely on a smartphone.
While the company does offer flexible, affordable monitoring plans, you’ll need the Interactive plan to control your system remotely using the app.
- Standard Plan: This pared-down plan includes professional monitoring, a cellular connection, and support for environmental sensors like smoke detectors.
- Interactive Plan: In addition to professional monitoring, you’ll also receive access to the SimpliSafe app for video, alerts, and smart home integration.
Can I take my SimpliSafe security system with me when I move?
Yes. When you purchase a SimpliSafe equipment bundle, it’s yours to keep no matter what. The same features that make SimpliSafe an out-of-the-box, easy-to-install home security solution also make it convenient to move.
Does SimpliSafe equipment work if the power goes out?
Because SimpliSafe has a cellular connection and the base station comes equipped with a 24-hour battery backup, if the power goes out, your home security stays connected.
SimpliSafe Monitoring and Alarm Capabilities
Can I use SimpliSafe without professional monitoring?
Yes. You can use SimpliSafe without professional monitoring, but you won’t get full access to all of the system’s features. Without professional monitoring, you won’t have access to the SimpliSafe mobile app, won’t be able to view any camera footage, and if there is a break-in, you’ll have to call for help yourself. If you opt out of professional monitoring you’ll get motion sensors and a siren—but that’s about it.
It's also important to note that SimpliSafe has two levels of professional monitoring. The cheaper level provides 24/7 monitoring center support to call for help in an emergency. To get mobile app access and features like video monitoring, you need to upgrade to SimpliSafe's top-tier plan.
What happens in case of a false alarm?
Despite the best of intentions, false alarms happen. When an alarm trips, the monitoring center will call the primary contact, and if they don’t reach anyone, the secondary contact number. You’ll supply a safe word or passcode to avoid dispatching the authorities. If false alarms occur frequently, contact SimpliSafe to discuss how to situate your sensors to avoid false alarms.
SimpliSafe App and Smart Home
Can I control SimpliSafe’s home security system from my smartphone?
If you purchase the Interactive plan, you’ll have access to SimpliSafe’s mobile app. Through the app, you can remotely control the system, receive alerts, and view live video on your smartphone.
Does Simplisafe integrate with smart home hubs and other smart devices?
Compared to Frontpoint, one of our top-rated home security systems, SimpliSafe falls short in smart home integration. The newest generation of SimpliSafe’s products can be controlled via voice by both Google Home and Amazon Alexa. Simplisafe is also compatible with Nest Thermostats and August and Yale smart door locks.
Is SimpliSafe installation free?
Unlike companies like ADT, which require professional installation, you can install SimpliSafe yourself. The company claims 97% of SimpliSafe customers install the system themselves, but if you do want help, SimpliSafe will send a technician to install it for $79.
Does SimpliSafe offer a warranty or guarantee?
SimpliSafe does have a 60-day money back guarantee, but the clock starts as soon as you purchase the product. SimpliSafe’s limited warranty extends a generous three years.
SimpliSafe Reviews and Service
Do SimpliSafe products earn positive reviews?
SimpliSafe products earn strong satisfaction marks from customers both on Amazon and Best Buy. SimpliSafe products are also available at Walmart and Sam’s Club, where the system has received lots of positive online reviews.
Does SimpliSafe have good customer service?
While SimpliSafe doesn’t offer 24/7 customer service, the help line is open seven days a week until 9 a.m. to midnight (EST). SimpliSafe has earned an A+ from the Better Business Bureau and 3 out of 5 stars from Trustpilot.
Compare the best home security systems
Lowest monitoring price
Starter equipment price
Smart home compatibility
|View Packages||Read review|
|High-end DIY pick||$34.99/mo.||$99.00|
|View Packages||Read review|
|DIY||Amazon, Google||View Packages||Read review|
|Best customer experience||$14.99/mo.||Quote required|
|DIY||Amazon,||View Packages||Read review|
|View Packages||Read review|
Info current as of 08/11/2021. Offers and availability may vary by location and are subject to change.
Full ADT disclaimer