Subscribe to our YouTube channel for more videos like this one! Learn how to protect your home, your loved ones, yourself, and your belongings.
Package Theft Prevention
Package Theft is Getting Worse, Here's What You Can Do About It
How to prevent packages from being stolen
Having a package swiped is infuriating—but you don’t have to put up with it. Proactive security moves can help keep your goods out of the hands of porch pirates.
Tech to thwart porch pirates
Doorbell cameras can help you catch a porch pirate in the act and shoo them away—whether you’re at home or not.
2022 Package Theft Report, sponsored by Vivint
- Opt in to delivery alerts. Most retailers or shipping companies allow you to opt in to receive tracking alerts.
- Require signatures for your packages. Even better, a doorbell camera can alert you as the delivery person arrives!
- Ensure your doorstep and home exterior are properly lit. Vivint's Spotlight Pro works together with the Outdoor Camera Pro to help detect thieves.
- Reconfigure camera settings for more coverage. For example, Vivint's Doorbell Camera Pro has a package detection feature, and Vivint's exterior cameras have detection zones.
- Install a home security system to dissuade or catch porch pirates.
Who's stealing this stuff anyway? And why?
Great questions! We sat down with package theft expert and criminologist Dr. Ben Stickle to learn more about porch pirates and why package thefts seem to be on the rise. Watch our interviews below.
Meet our package theft expert
Dr. Ben Stickle is a former sheriff’s deputy and crime scene processor. He’s an expert on policing, metal theft, and porch piracy. Ben has published dozens of academic publications and presented at both national and international conferences (including at the United Nations). He’ss also made prominent appearances in the media, including on Good Morning America and CSPAN.
What to do if a package is stolen
Sometimes—no matter what you do—a package still gets pilfered. We’ve got the steps to take if porch pirates sail away with your booty.
Package theft statistics
Millions of packages are stolen every year, and it’s only getting worse as more people shop from home. It’s hard to get the full story about how often package theft happens, the value of stolen items, and the success rate for recovery because there’s no central way of tracking it in the US.
According to our State of Safety report, Americans worry more about having a package stolen than experiencing violent crime, gun violence, or any other property crime.
To help fill the gap, we’ve been studying package theft for the past several years. Our independent surveys and research have been featured by multiple outlets including CNBC, Marketplace, Woman’s Day, and First for Women magazine. Get the full story in our complete report: Worst Metro Cities for Package Theft.